Sunday, November 16, 2008

Final Reflection (Blog Post #7)

Looking back at my first posting written about two months plus ago, I realized that my understanding of the value of effective communication skills has remained about the same, perhaps with some additional useful knowledge gained regarding effective communication. The definition of “communication” and the ability and reasons to communicate have continued to stand firm in my beliefs and thoughts after taking this module. Hence, this implies that effective communication is really important in our lives as indispensable soft core skills for interacting with people in various ways.

Towards the end of this module, I would say that I have a better and more comprehensive in-depth grasp about the different communication skills taught. For example, I have been able to learn more about the basic fundamentals of effective communication such as the various communication networks and channels available, the importance of being an active listener and being able to decipher nonverbal cues correctly, as well as knowing the need to establish good interpersonal and intercultural communication. All of these are equally important as they serve as mandatory basic building blocks for effective communication in today’s society.

In view of writing as a form of communication, I have learnt the 7Cs of writing (courtesy, correctness, conciseness, clarity, coherence and cohesion, concreteness, and completeness) which are important because they allowed my written thoughts and ideas to flow and to be understood by other people clearly. It was certainly an enriching experience when I learnt about the different types of business correspondence and types of messages as well as when to use each type for different occasions appropriately so that we would be able to achieve effective communication successfully with the intended recipients. I would admit that the survey report was a very tedious task as we had to carry out research on a particular topic within a constrained period of time but it really taught me the importance of teamwork, good time management, developing empathy and good communication skills with my team members, so that all of us could accomplish the goal of finishing the report on time. I have really formed stronger bonds with my team members after going through thick and thin.

The area of job search communication offered me a fresh insight into discovering more about myself in terms of values, personal traits and characteristics and skills so that I would be able to have a clearer direction when looking for the right job that suit me best. It was good that this module taught me how to craft out a resume and job application letter effectively as I did not have any prior exposure to this before taking the module. Hence, this would definitely benefit me when I graduate and look for a job next time.

With respect to oral communication, I was introduced to the world of meetings and had the chance to execute out a meeting with my survey report team members, thus it was like allowing me to put what I had learnt in theory into practice in a real meeting situation. In addition, I had to compile the various recorded minutes for the meeting as I was assigned the role of the secretary and it was another eye-opener again as I was admitted into the world of minutes for the first time. Moreover, I had the chance to utilize what I learnt from the 7Cs in writing when I was doing up the minutes. Besides that, the other highlight would be the oral presentation for the survey report topic. I gained new knowledge in preparing for oral presentation after developing a professional presentation format as well as training myself in the area of good public speaking skills such as using a persuasive tone appropriately, good voice and pitch control, good time management during speaking, adopting correct gestures and stance and coping better with stage-fright by overcoming nervousness and showing confidence.

All in all, at the end of the day, what does not kill you will only make you stronger. Therefore, I believe that these soft core communication skills attained from this module would be imprinted in me for life as they are invaluable and necessary abilities required for communicating effectively in this world.

2 comments:

miranda said...

hey zhi lian!
That's a long post. However, well written. I like your third paragraph where you talked about the 7cs and report writing.

Like you, I have learn a great deal from writing the report and doing survey questions and the endless hours on churning the report out. It was indeed one-of-a-kind experience for me. It was much harder than JC's project work!

The team spirit and team work that I have gotten from my project mates was tremendous too. I will never forget the amount of effort we have put in to doing the project.

All the best to you and good luck!!

grace kim said...

Hi Zhi Lian,

I really appreciate your effort, time and thought put into all your posts as well as into your comments on other students' posts.

I notice that you usually write long and thoughtful comments on others' blogs and that's good but I do hope you bear in mind one very important "C" - conciseness - in your writing especially when you have a word limit restriction :-)

Am glad that the course has given you "a better and more comprehensive in-depth grasp about the different communication skills ". Hope these skills do not simply stay "imprinted" in you but that you will constantly use and refine them in your daily interaction with others as well as for academic/professional purposes.

All the best!